The Commonwealth of Virginia

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Commonwealth of Virginia

Forum for Fans of Division I Athletics in the Great State of Virginia

VCU’s Hollingsworth bound for Minnesota

morrisar
    morrisar

VCU’s Hollingsworth bound for Minnesota Empty VCU’s Hollingsworth bound for Minnesota

Post  morrisar Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:16 am

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_basketball/article/WNBA10_20090409-221531/253247/

Quanitra Hollingsworth believed she was bound for home in Chesapeake when she steered her automobile onto I-64 eastbound shortly after 3 p.m. yesterday.

In fact, her destination was Minneapolis.

Hollingsworth, Virginia Commonwealth University's all-Colonial Athletic Association post player, became the first VCU player drafted in the first round as Minnesota made her the ninth overall pick in yesterday's WNBA draft.

Hollingsworth learned of her selection when Rams coach Beth Cunningham called her cell phone.

"It was nerves, definitely," Hollingsworth said. "I didn't want to watch. Something inside kept telling me, 'Q, don't worry about it. You've got it. You'll be fine.' But there's always, 'What if?' I didn't want to see the disappointment on other peoples' faces if things didn't work out."

Things did work out. Hollingsworth, a 6-5 senior who averaged 14.8 points and 9.5 rebounds in 2008-09, was the second player taken by the Lynx in the first of the draft's three rounds. Minnesota chose Connecticut point guard Renee Montgomery with the fourth overall pick.

Hollingsworth said the distinction of becoming the first first-round draftee in VCU history was the "last individual goal on my list."

Even so, she said, "This isn't just about me. I think it says a lot about our program and especially my coaches and my teammates. I mean, let's be honest: I wouldn't be where I am today if I had been the only one out there."

Hollingsworth's selection may have been the biggest surprise of the first round. At least to WNBA executives. Gaudy statistics notwithstanding, she is the only 1,000-point/1,000-rebound player in VCU women's history and her 55 career double-doubles rank among the NCAA's top 25 -- she was the only first-round selection who was not invited to attend the draft at the NBA Entertainment studios in Secaucus, N.J.

"That's OK," she said. "I don't fault anybody for that. I'm just glad that somebody thought enough of me to give me this opportunity."

Cunningham said 'if' was never an issue. The only question, she said, was 'when?' Cunningham said Hollingsworth's combination of size and lavish athleticism was too tempting to ignore.

"She has so much God-given talent that you simply can't teach," Cunningham said. "There are (physical) qualities they look for at the pro level that are very difficult to find. As hard as some people are willing to work, they're never going to have what the pros are looking for -- at least, not from a talent standpoint. [Hollingsworth] has what they're looking for."

Any skepticism, Cunningham said, was likely dispelled when Hollingsworth delivered a double-double (16 points and 11 rebounds) in the Rams' 57-51 NCAA Tournament loss to Rutgers and heralded post player Kia Vaughn.

Two players from state schools were chosen early in the second round. The San Antonio Silver Stars selected Liberty forward Megan Frazee with the 14th overall pick. The Connecticut Sun chose Virginia guard/forward Lyndra Littles with the 17th pick.

Louisville forward Angel McCoughtry was the first of the 39 players selected. She was taken by the Atlanta Dream. Maryland guard Kristi Toliver, a Harrisonburg native, was chosen fourth overall by the Chicago Sky.

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 6:54 am